April 22, 2015
10 things a breastfeeding Mom doesn’t need to hear!
2. I don’t think she’s hungry, she’s just using you as a pacifier! Why not just give her a pacifier?
3. Just give him a bottle, it’s SO much easier. Why make more work for yourself?
4. How do you know the baby getting enough milk? Aren’t you worried that the baby isn’t getting enough? I would be!
5. My mom never breastfed me and I’m perfectly fine!
6. Your breasts can’t possibly be big enough to breastfeed effectively? They are way to small, you need large breasts if you’re going to be breastfeeding a baby!
7. If you don’t stop breastfeeding soon you’ll never be able to go back to work!
8. I heard pumping is horribly painful! Why would you want to do that?
9. Breastfeeding a baby doesn’t make him any healthier than formula feeding!
10. He’s too old to be breastfeeding! I heard babies don’t need breast milk after a year old! You should just stop now!
Breastfeeding is not easy and as moms, we need to support each other. Try to be more conscious of the comments you make to breastfeeding mom (and all moms). Moms can breastfeed for as long as they want and as often as their baby needs. We need to encourage each other and not shame one another for the choices we make as parents. Parenting does not come with a rule book, we are all learning as we go. We need help along the way, not judgement.
This blog written by Lisa Raynor , a childbirth and postpartum doula in Coral Springs, FL. She is also a mom of three boys, a wife, and loves to blog about pregnancy, childbirth, postpartum care and breastfeeding.Lisa attends births throughout Broward County and Boca Raton. Call for a FREE consultation today! 954-914-3933