December 30, 2015
What a Childbirth and Postpartum Doula Does Not Do!
As a doula I do NOT:
- Make decisions for you. I will help you get the information necessary to make an informed decision. I will also remind you that there is a departure from your birth plan.
- Speak to the staff on your behalf. I will discuss your concerns with you and suggest options, but you or your partner will speak on your behalf to the clinical staff.
- Perform clinical tasks, such as blood pressure checks, fetal heart tone checks, vaginal exams etc. I am there to provide only physical comfort, emotional support and advocacy.
- Interfere with medical staff during labor and delivery. I will be by your side comforting and encouraging you while the doctors, nurses and medical staff do their jobs
- Judge you or your partner for any decisions you make during your pregnancy, labor and delivery. This is YOUR labor and delivery and as your doula, I support you 100%.
- Push my views or opinions on my clients. I will answer questions honestly when asked and give my opinions if asked, but never push my views on clients.